Monday, July 23, 2012

Beware of the Vikings

I made my way to Scalloway on Sunday via two busses in the wind and rain.  The locals were right! The rain was horrible.  Man, it gets really windy here!

 On the bus a kind local woman with red hair, a go tee (not kidding), and who swore like a sailor helped me to my two bus stops. The driver drove so fast and the windows were fogged from the rain that I wasn't sure I would be able to identify the stops. There is only one lane for most of the roads in Shetland. When two cars meet on the road, one has to let the other pass.

I finally made it to my bus stop in Scalloway and walked for fifteen minutes in the rain with my luggage. I looked like a drowned rat when I arrived on the doorstep of the North Atlantic Fisheries College dorm.



I waited out the rain and let my clothes dry. When the rain died down, I made a break for the closest place to get food. I had gone three days without eating lunch now. I didn't want to stay long at the restaurant because I didn't want to get another set of pants soaked. It wouldn't be good to have two out of my three pairs of pants drenched.

It was eerily quiet at the dorm and there was no tv, Internet access, or anything to do. I was bored out of my mind. Luckily the morning came soon enough.

I started my Centre for Nordic Studies: Viking Culture course today! We started the morning with an overview of the Vikings in general and then about the Vikings in Shetland. In the afternoon we took two ferries to the island of Unst which is the northernmost inhabited island in Great Britain.



After getting settled, we had dinner at the resort. I had neeps and tatties, haggis, and there was a surprise: more black pudding. In addition I had some smoked salmon. For dessert I had sticky toffee pudding. Sticky toffee pudding has been at every restaurant I've eaten at so far. Luckily my father-in-law makes sticky toffee outing so I'll be able to get my fix once I get home.




                                                                                                        


So far I'm loving my class! The instructors and the students are incredible. I think it's going to be an unforgettable week.

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what neeps or tatties are, but it seems like I remember haggis being something really iffy. Quite the culinary adventure! I wouldn't mind trying sticky toffee pudding, though.

    ReplyDelete