Friday, July 20, 2012

Black pudding

I spent the rest of yesterday evening walking around and reading.

I made a trip to the Shell station across the street and bought aBLT, Walker's salt and vinegar chips, and a black currant soda. I had to try the BLT because they had numerous signs claiming it was the best.


 I finally figured out how to use the tv after calling reception. You have to give it five minutes to warm up. The remote also didn't work. I went to sleep at 9:30, woke up at 10:30, and then again at midnight. I woke up ten minutes before my 6:30 wake up call.

When I went to breakfast at the hotel, I asked for what would be a traditional Scottish food. The waiter recommended black pudding. I also got hashbrowns (looked like and Arby's potato cake), and a ham and cheese omelette. After eating for a while and sharing several glances with the waiter, I pulled him over and asked what was in the black pudding (round cooked patty that is dark black. It is crispy on the outside and somewhat dense on the inside.  It is not at all like American pudding.) The waiter asked me if I was sure I wanted to know. I told him yes. He said it had blood and oats in it. I looked at my plate seeing there were only two bites left and told him it was good. I then felt obligated to finish the last two bites. I was the one who asked for a traditional item and he had warned me that I might not like it.  He came back later and told me he was preparing himself for that question.

 I am now leaving for the airport to catch my flight to Sumburgh on the Shetland islands. I am one toothpaste tube, a pair of socks, and a pair of underwear lighter. My purging of socks and underwear is like an advent calendar only it is counting the days left of this excursion and not counting up to an event. And hey who wants to carry dirty socks and underwear around with them for two weeks? It's better to leave them behind. That's why I brought my ancient undergarments. Now that I finally figured out how to work the toilet, the tv, and the shower, I am off again. What's next?

1 comment:

  1. You are brave! Did you get the recipe? Bet Will and Amelia would love it if you made that for them some time ;-)

    ReplyDelete