Thursday, July 19, 2012

One tired mama

I survived an eight hour flight to Amsterdam and then an hour and twenty minute flight to Aberdeen, Scotland. I probably could have made it one more flight to the Shetland Islands today, but I'm glad I gave myself ample time to get there.

It's been nearly eight years since I've done international travel and eleven years since I've been to Europe. Things have changed! I was not aware of the mini bag rule for liquids. Luckily all of my liquids fit into the tiny zip lock bag. Usually I check my bag with toiletries, but I didn't check any bags for this trip. Plus now they have tons of music, movies, and television shows you can peruse. I listened to Amos Lee, Gotye, Michael Buble, the Civil Wars, and Jonsi. I also watched one edpisode of the second season of Downton Abbey and one episode of Fringe.

One of my former colleagues from Linwood Monroe was on the same flight to Amsterdam. It was fun seeing her and catching up.

 The planes keep getting smaller the farther out I go. My plane to Aberdeen was regular size, but looked so much smaller than the plane to Amsterdam. They had us take a bus out to the airplane and walk up the stairs to get on the plane. I've always wanted to do that. I wonder how big the plane will be to the Shetland Islands.



Sleep was not happening on the plane so I took a little nap at my hotel in Aberdeen. I didn't let myself sleep too long because I want to sleep tonight. I'm so glad that my room was ready. I checked in around 9:00 and it said on the website they didn't start check in until 2:00. That would make for a long morning. There's not a lot to do around here. I am down the road a couple minutes from the airport. I think this will just be my cozy resting spot until I head to the island tomorrow. Too much time to do nothing, but not enough time or energy to do something.

I'm not sure when I'll be hungry again. We had a snack(pretzels, dinner (chicken, broccoli, potatoes, salad, cheese, cracker, and a cinnamon brownie) and breakfast (egg and cheese on a croissant, banana, OJ) on the flight to Amsterdam. Then there was an egg sandwich and apple fritter on the flight to Aberdeen. I feel like all I've been doing is sitting, eating, and sleeping. I'm so tired. I just looked at the menu. The prices look okay until you realize they're in pounds. So 13.95 for a hamburger or fish and chips roughly equates to $20.00.  I purchased breakfast for tomorrow morning. Maybe I won't be hungry until then.

1 comment:

  1. Glad things have gone smoothly for you. Love hearing the food you got to eat. Was it any good? Never really had airplane food before! Or flown internationally for that matter! Can't wait to hear more :-)

    ReplyDelete