Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rock, Music, and Muckle Flugga

Today we learned about Norse mythology. I was so excited that most of the information I heard today confirmed what I have been researching the last several months. That means that everything mythological in my manuscript is on the right track.

Our afternoon field trip was to see three longhouses that have been discovered on Unst. We also saw a broch which may have been used as a fortress.



We walked up and down hills. There is scat of all shapes and sizes on the ground so much that after a while you stop watching your step because it's inevitable you will step in it.

I learned the hard way that it is smart to follow a path the sheep have created because sheep don't like getting their feet wet. I unfortunately stepped in a damp area and got mud up to my laces on my shoes. I was able to wash them off in the ocean at the beach, but my feet have been squishing in my shoes for the last several hours now.



Our final destinations were a 12th century ( I hope that's accurate) kirk, or church in honor or Saint Olaf and Muckle Flugga, the northernmost point in Great Britain. There is a lighthouse on Muckle Flugga, but no one lives there.





After dinner of mushroom stroganoff and another plate of sticky toffee pudding (Yes, I have a mild obsession with sticky toffee pudding) several of us went to see a music performance with fiddle, piano, flute, double bass, and percussion. They had lovely music and had a ballad about the Shetland Bus during World War II.



I'm now off to bed and now that I know I can pull a shade on my sky light, I sleep much better. It doesn't stay dark long here. It's possibly 4-5 hours per night of darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment